A few weeks ago, my boss was cleaning out some of the stuff at his house and ran across 4 models he never really started. One of them was this beauty, a 1988 USA-1 Chevrolet Monster Truck. As shown in the picture, the model was intended to be just like the real life USA-1 truck which I’ve found has had several different builds. However, I decided to go in a different direction. For this model, I decided on a gloss dark blue finish, a custom engine color and custom interior. I will also be creating my own decals along the lines of the Slanted Shed.
This model has been finished. Unfortunately paint issues and financial concerns changed the direction of the model. I used Metallic Arctic Blue for the paint and installed the factory included decals. Photos from the process can be found below.
Originally posted on OSM here
This model turned into quite a mess for awhile and although I don’t feel that it’s my best work, I have finished it and left it as is. I wasn’t all that keen on the original white paint job (even though that’s how the actual truck looks). So, I originally started with a dark gloss blue. During the process though, my dark blue became light blue through a mislabeled paint bottle. That in turn ended up causing me to repaint this model 4 times. The final color shown is Arctic Blue Metallic.
Also, one of the stabilizers was missing when I received the model, so I had to make my own out of a sprue. I learned a lot of lessons along the way and the finished product definitely looks better from a distance!